Credit: Joseph Romeo

Historic DC Courthouse

BBB’s restoration of the historic DC Courthouse revives the original grandeur of the 1820’s structure and provides additional space and enhanced facilities for The Court of Appeals.

Originally designed by George Hadfield in 1820 to serve as Washington’s City Hall, the historic DC Courthouse is a National Historic Landmark and a prominent structure on Judiciary Square. BBB’s restoration and expansion prepares the building for 21st-century use. Enhanced facilities, including a ceremonial courtroom, reception spaces, and attorney conference rooms are located below grade to minimize impact on the historic interiors and facade. The addition of a new ceremonial courtroom beneath the grand front portico presented complex engineering challenges. Crews constructed a steel frame onto which the weight of the portico was temporarily transferred using hydraulic jacks. BBB’s design features a new, modern pavilion that is oriented toward Judiciary Square on the north and serves as the main entrance. The entire building is now ADA-compliant with “invisibly” modernized mechanical systems and sustainable design features, such as permeable surfaces and efficient wastewater management, to reduce energy consumption.

 

Client

The District of Columbia Courts

Location

Washington, DC

Size

135,000 SF

Completed

2009

People

AIA, AICP
Partner
FAIA
Partner, Director of the DC Office
AIA
Partner
AIA, LEED AP
Senior Associate
AIA, LEED AP BD+C
Senior Associate
AIA, LEED AP
Senior Associate
AIA, LEED AP
Senior Associate