Credit: Beyer Blinder Belle

Carter G. Woodson Home National Historic Site

Renovation of the home of Dr. Carter G. Woodson, the “father of black history” and the catalyst behind Black History month, restores the National Historic Landmark as a Museum and Visitor Center commemorating Woodson’s life and legacy.

Originally constructed in 1874, and inhabited by Dr. Carter G. Woodson from 1921-1950, this National Historic Landmark served as the headquarters of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History until 1976. The National Park Service (NPS) acquired the building in 2005 after it had suffered near collapse from neglect and was listed on the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s annual list of America’s 11 Most Endangered Places. BBB was engaged by the NPS in 2008 to complete a Historic Structure Report (HSR) and the design to convert the dilapidated property to a new Museum and Visitor Center.

BBB’s comprehensive scope of work included architectural research, documentation of the building and its cultural history, and designation of preservation zones. Design included full restoration of the historic components, fixtures, finishes, and equipment, as well as the design of new mechanical, fire protection, and life safety building systems to upgrade the historic structure for code compliance while minimizing disruption to or loss of historic fabric. An earthquake disrupted the project in 2011, requiring emergency stabilization of the historic façade and a new strategy for the preservation work on the exterior envelope. The project opened to the public in 2016, prior to the NPS’ 100th anniversary.

 

Client

National Park Service–National Capital Area Region 1

Location

Washington, DC

Size

10,200 SF

Completed

2016

People

FAIA
Partner, Director of the DC Office
AIA, AICP
Partner
AIA
Principal
AIA, LEED AP
Senior Associate
Associate
AIA
Associate